Death of a Warrior

Many exercised their creative talents during downtime on patrol by writing poetry or prose. Here's a spot to share yours.
Forum rules
Consider your audience when posting. The audience is unrestricted. Individual submissions are copyright by the authors and may only be reproduced with prior written permission from the author.
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

Death of a Warrior

Post by rmbowen »

In the last three months, I have attended two funerals, both Navy vets. The first, a childhood friend that I went to school with. He served three tours as a gunner on a PBR in Viet Nam. He was highly decorated. He lost a long battle with agent orange. The other was Chief Scott, whom I served on the Madison with in the late 60s. I started the poem after the first funeral but laid it aside because I had issues with anger about the way the Nam vets were treated by the VA. I have a cousin who suffers from exposure as well. Anyway, I really could not focus on writing. Then after Chief Scott's funeral, I could not rest until I finished it. I struggled a little about using Chief Scott's name here, but I realize that many have not got the word, so here it is for those of you who knew him:

Death of a Warrior

The good Earth opens welcoming arms
And Heaven sheds tears on that day;
The day life’s final verse is written
And a Warrior for peace passes away.

Their stories are told in songs of old,
And in verses from poets’ admiring hands.
They are written in the jungles of Viet Nam,
In sand and on beaches of distant lands.

But today, every song of praise is hushed
And Sadness stands at my side;
Another Warrior has fought his final battle,
And another part of this poet died.

© 2016 Roy Mack Bowen
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)
1967-1970 blue crew April 1970-1971 gold crew
KellyJoeRay
First Name: Kelly Joe
Last Name: Ray
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1974-79
Rate: MM

Re: Death of a Warrior

Post by KellyJoeRay »

Man that brought tears to my eyes...That is what it's all about...Poems are supposed to invoke a memory or an emotion...Keep 'em coming...
K.J. Ray MM1/SS Ret.
Blue Crew 1974-1979
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

Post by rmbowen »

Thank you, K J.
By the way, I am loving your new utube videos.
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)
1967-1970 blue crew April 1970-1971 gold crew
KellyJoeRay
First Name: Kelly Joe
Last Name: Ray
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1974-79
Rate: MM

Post by KellyJoeRay »

God only knows...I miss this man...I miss his words...his insights... his poetry...And with his passing...another part of this poet died as well..
I'll meet you in Heaven at the Tree of Forgiveness Bar Roy Boy and we will drink a Handsome Johnny...Sing the old songs and read poetry that came from our crazy bone...and our searching souls...Shipmate....

I cry every time I read this still...That's what its all about brothers...Touching someones heart...prevolking a response... anger...fear...or tears...some emotion... It don't have to epic...it don't have to be poetic or prophetic...Just be honest...and say what you feel...It don't even have to rhyme...My stuff don't always rhyme...Neither does Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Kris Kristofferson, Steve Goodman or John Prine's...BUT they are ALWAYS speaking with their HEART and NOT their Heads...You feel me? Now contribute your poetry...I beg of you ALL...Give it a shot...I know some of you kept Patrol Books and wrote letters and stuff like that in them...We need to share these memories before like Roy...We are ALL gone...Gone to flowers every one...
RIP RB
K.J. Ray MM1/SS Ret.
Blue Crew 1974-1979