Last Name: Mathes
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1977-82
1985-87
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: FTB

Missing Madison Personnel

Post by Jeff Mathes »

I noticed that MT2 Calvin A. Jones is on the list but his status is missing.

Calvin "Butch" Jones was living in Chancellorsville, VA when I last saw him in the early to mid 2000s. Butch was selected for ECP and finished his degree at the University of South Carolina if I remember right. He later served as a GSO Weps on one of the Charleston boats, maybe the Bolivar or Pulaski. He retired as a LCDR and went to work at NSWC Dahlgren where he was a great asset in developing the methodology for communicating targeting data to the newer T-Hulls.

Jeff
Jeff Mathes
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Mathes
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1977-82
1985-87
Rate: FTB

Re: Missing Madison Personnel

Post by Jeff Mathes »

A couple others

MT1 Melvin Benton is not listed. Mel was onboard Madison as an MT2 when I reported in '77. He went through ERO in Newport News. Last time I saw Mel he was an MTC at SWFLANT in the mid-90s. Don't recall if he retired from SWFLANT Kings Bay or went back to sea.

MT2 Joseph Dowell. Joe was an MT2 when I reported to Madison in '77. Joe was medically disqualified and force rate converted. I think he became an Aviation Ordnanceman.

MTCM Al "Rat" Taylor is not listed. He was a qualified MT3 on the Gold crew when we combined crews for ERO. Rat shipped STAR In the yards and was later command advanced when he was assigned to the Arduous Sea Contingent (TAKs) at POMFLANT in the mid-80s. Rat and I served together at SWFLANT Kings Bay in the early to mid 90s. After SWFLANT he got a COB job on a KBay boomer.

Jeff
Board Admin
Site Admin

Post by Board Admin »

Benton and Dowell are both included in the listing but current contact info is unknown.

I'm guessing RAT Taylor may be the same person as Richard A Taylor? Any additional info on current whereabouts would be appreciated.
JT-STS627g
First Name: John
Last Name: Horner
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1970-74
Rate: STS2(ss)

Post by JT-STS627g »

There was a Richard A "Rat" Taylor on our crew. He was an A-ganger as I recall. Can't remember if he had made 3rd class yet. Remember when he drank his Dolphins in Holy Loch. They carried him back, puked and fell asleep in the shower. lol
JT
Sonar gang '70-'74 Gold
Radwaste
First Name: John
Last Name: Culbert
Crew?: Combined and Gold
Which Years on Board: 1980-1983
Rate: IC nuc

Post by Radwaste »

IC1(SS) Rodney Dickerson retired the summer of 1981 - I was at his party, tending the keg of dark Heineken. Ahhh... what a nice guy!
A submarine is the starship of today. That said, a lotta people think they're propelled by nuclear power. Nope. It's sweat.