Additional Shipmates Identified, Now Where Are They?

Tracking down missing shipmates
Board Admin
Site Admin

Additional Shipmates Identified, Now Where Are They?

Post by Board Admin »

I'm pretty confident in saying that the most complete listing of Madison sailors for the 1963-1970 timeframe is now on this website.

We went to the National Archives center in Greenbelt MD and searched their files for this period and pulled every mention of a sailor (or rider/midshipman) and added those names here. In reviewing the list, we made reasonable effort to avoid duplicating sailors we already knew but I know there is still some duplication in those lists.

The problem lies in that we now know names but still don't know the whereabouts of many of these folks. Can you help? In looking at the member lists, if the username is just a number, chances are we don't know where this person is, or sadly if they are even still alive. Please look the lists over. If your name is there (or should be) with just a number, let us hear from you. If you know the whereabouts of one or more of those folks, tell them we're looking for them and also tell us how to contact them.

Part of the charter of the Association is to locate all our fellow Madison crewmembers and see that they are recognized or remembered.

For crewmembers beginning in 1971, those records are not currently available to us (due to Federal privacy regulations) although we are pursuing them. We would like to locate every crewmember for the life of the ship.
Board Admin
Site Admin

Re: Additional Shipmates Identified, Now Where Are They?

Post by Board Admin »

I've received word from the National Archives that the redacted rosters for 1971-1975 are now available for me to go investigate. I expect to do so in the next couple of weeks.
We'll compare those names to the ones we already have and add them to the lists. We may yet manage to identify all of our shipmates.

I'm also investigating a better way to enlist your help in locating the "missing" ones.
grywolff
First Name: Martin
Last Name: Abbiss
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1963-1967
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: NA

Re: Additional Shipmates Identified, Now Where Are They?

Post by grywolff »

I believe my ex-father-in-law Lew Godinho was part of the 1963-1967 crew.