First Name: Gilbert (Gil)
Last Name: Raynor
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1968-70
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM2 SS

Help build the Madison Sailing List and locate shipmates

Post by ELT627 »

We continue to work hard to build the Madison sailing list so that we can include all who sailed on the Madison as well as have current info for the Reunion association newsletters and notifications. We have come across a Madison list that has these names but no further information. If anyone can fill in this info, please contact Charline Ryan Huwe and help us update our listing.
Bill Burns
Douglas Earnst
John Forrester
____Griner
Ray Hays
Klink Kleinstueber
Chief Oscar Mayer
____Miltner
“Big Fig” Newton
___Noll
J.E. Osborne
Joe Pederson
Michael Reeves
J.E. Rosenblum
George Schilling
Roger Thornton
Bill Warren
“Faintin Willie” Williams (This could be one we have???)
Robbie Willingham
Richard Zielinski
Board Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help build the Madison Sailing List and locate shipmates

Post by Board Admin »

Have had several responses to the email announcing this so I'm transferring them to the board so they can be seen by others:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:08 PM
To: website@ussjamesmadison627.com
Subject: RE: Help build the Madison Sailing List and locate shipmates

Chief Griner(? Sr Chief) was on Blue Crew with me for 1 or 2 patrols in fall 1967 andor spring 1968. I think he took over from Chief Holland as COB. Also, LT Richard(Dick)Zielinski was in the wardroom with me at the same time. He was on the boat for all my 3 patrols, as Operations Officer from 1/67 to 8/68. He was an engineering graduate of Rensaellar Univ. in NY.

Woody Sanford
Capt,MC,USNR(ret.)
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: Help build the Madison Sailing List and locate shipmates

Sorry that I can't help.
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:00 PM

Good day,
None of these name s sound familiar. I was on the James Madison Blue Crew from 1987 till the end of my enlistment 5/5/1989. Hope you find the information you need. Here is my rendition of "Pillows of Death":
I write this article from first-hand experience onboard the nuclear powered submarine USS James Madison, SSB(N) 627 Blue. Being "trapped" on a submarine for over 60 days at time with only a slim chance of seeing daylight during those 60 plus days, we submariners tend to wile away the days doing things that would put us in the Looney bin if on terra firma. One such thing is to think of colorful names for dull tasteless food, which we consumed four times a day during our underwater confinement. Since there is no sunlight, and only a vague concept of time, we would associate the time of day with what was being served. If you were served green eggs and ham (or something similar), well we knew it was morning, time for breakfast. Lunch was a little more challenging to guess, normally something in the form of a sandwich, and on Saturday it may be hamburgers. Dinners were normally meatloaf, spaghetti, and or something made of processed chicken parts. Friday dinners always had some kind of Catholic fish item on the menu, and Sunday dinners were "Surf and Turf".
So you may wonder why the long introduction just to tell a story of the most unappealing meal of the day? When you read a bedtime story, would you leave out the "Once upon a time", and skip to the "and they lived happily ever after"? No, I say. To fully appreciate this intestinal tale, you must first acquaint the reader the overall culinary picture. But I digress...., on with the last meal of the day, aboard a vessel that was designed to sink. The Navy calls it Mid-Rats, short for midnight rations. It is mainly comprised of leftovers from lunch and or dinner, and if there were little or no leftovers from those meals, well one of the "standards" to serve was canned ravioli. Succulent squares of tasteless pasta filled with a soy based, meat flavored product, whose sole purpose was to fill the bellies of sea weary sailors, waiting to return home to family, friends, and real food. These "Pillows of Death" were immersed in a red-orange sauce, which made the meal even less savory, looking like square toads swimming in their own life fluids. The crew was encouraged to eat these UFOs (unsavory flavorless objects), or wait until the next meal, which could be green eggs and ham, or worse.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Riojas
Systems Support Engineer
SGI(r) ALTIX ICE "Ultimate Flexibility for the World's Fastest Supercomputer"
Petascale-Class, with clear roadmap to Exascale performance.
See more at: http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/ice/x/
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:25 AM

If the Williams referred to is an Electrician's Mate, then I know him, but not how to contact him. I believe he was EM1 on 627. He & I also served on the 631 (USS Ulysses S Grant), but he had made Chief by then. He was a very effective leader and a great shipmate. I can't remember his first name, but I do not believe it was Terry.

Dick Zielinski came aboard at the same time I did, right after completion of the ship's first patrol in early 1965 (and right after we finished SubSchool.) We were both JG's. Dick became Communications Officer & Classified Document Control Officer. He is a graduate of RPI if memory serves me correctly. Unfortunately, I don't know how to contact him either.

ReGardes, Sam
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:42 AM

Hi Guys,

George Schilling was the CO in 1973.

Regards,

Alan Fisk
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:43 AM
Subject: Jolly Dolly

I was on the first Gold patrol of 627 out of Rota.

What do you need to know.

Les Constable, Owner/Winemaker

http://www.BrushyCreekVineyards.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:57 PM
Subject: Madison Names

The Big Fig Newton was chief of M-Div when I got there. His name may have been Miller. He showed up for the first reunion held in Charleston. He claimed to be the world’s leading authority on hemorrhoids and that they were caused by sitting on diamond deck. At least that is what he told me while he was setting on the diamond deck steps in AMR2 UL.
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:37 PM

George Schilling was the Blue Crew Captain for the second through seventh patrols after coming out of the Poseidon retrofit shipyard overhaul. I was in the nav gang. We left the yards in July of 1970, did a shakedown to Puerto Rico, and went on our first patrol from Charleston, coming back to Holy Loch. That must have been in the fall of 1970, which would mean Captain Schilling came on board early in 1971. He remained Captain through the rest of my tour (I left the ship in July 1974).

Other members of the crew that I remember (all enlisted):
"Rosie" Rosselot
Don McFadden (I have been trying to locate him for years)
Larry Hipskind
Hal Poindexter

I hope this helps!

Paul C. Brown, ET1
SSBN627-Blue
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:33 PM

I am still looking for Mike Endress - Gold crew -64 thru 68.

Do you have any information????

Vernon Kennedy -
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:46 PM
Subject: Sailing list

Mark Neel sailed on the USS James Madison
Board Admin
Site Admin

Post by Board Admin »

Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:58 PM

Most of the names don't mean anything to me, but I'm willing to bet that "George Schilling" is CMDR George F. Shchilling, the captain of the blue crew when I was on the Madison in 1973-1974.

-Paul Cooper
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:14 PM
Subject: Sailing Lists

___ Miltner is James (Jim) Miltner he was an ELT MM on the Blue Crew in the late 70s
Board Admin
Site Admin

Post by Board Admin »

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 1:18 PM
Subject: Crew Member Info

In reference to your question about John “Boy” Forrester:

“he was from tennessee, i think worked as at pasagoula shipyard/ all i know.”

(From Larry Lunden, MM1, Gold Crew 1971-76.)
Jeff Mathes
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Mathes
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1977-82
1985-87
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: FTB

Post by Jeff Mathes »

I remember a M Div First Class with the name of Zelinski, or similar. Seems like he and MMC Berlyak served at about the same time on Madison.
Board Admin
Site Admin

Post by Board Admin »

Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2012 11:37 PM
To: website

how about Dennis Marker? He was a reactor operator. He came to us from the fast attack that sank...Scorpion?