First Name: Gilbert (Gil)
Last Name: Raynor
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1968-70
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM2 SS

Basic Enlisted Submarine School (BESS)

Post by ELT627 »

When did you go thru BESS, did you go thru? If so, you may find your picture posted at http://www.bessphotos.com/

There are over 500 photos there, maybe you can supply a missing class section photo. Gary Walker has been working on this labor of love for several years now. So go check it out.

I was class 387, section 474, October 1967. Went straight there from Nuc Prototype in Windsor, CT. I think I was one of the last classes of Nucs to go thru subschool. I was aready 2nd class when I arrived at subschool.
Gil
68-70 blue before yard, gold after
RussBrentnell
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Brentnell
Crew?: Combined and Gold
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Rate: mm1 (nuke)

Post by RussBrentnell »

Never went. That practice for Nukes was abolished long before I graduated Nuke school. Everyone I've talked to who went really enjoyed it. Perhaps the years have made it a "rosey" experience?
Combined in the Yard/Gold crew, 80-84 M-Div

Ship's New Storekeeper 2017-
ELT627
First Name: Gilbert (Gil)
Last Name: Raynor
Which Years on Board: 1968-70
Rate: MM2 SS

BESS

Post by ELT627 »

You are just one of the yourg wippersnappers on this group. Anyone have a total on how many people cycled thru the Madison in her life history?
ELT627
MattBaseflug
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Baseflug
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1983-88
Rate: ET-1

BESS

Post by MattBaseflug »

Now that was a really interesting website, thanks. Ill be looking up my old BESS information and submitting it there. My pic wasn't there :cry:
Nav ET Div, Blue, 83-87
Essel
First Name: John Glenn
Last Name: Essel
Which Years on Board: 1981-1986
Rate: FTB1

Post by Essel »

Thanks so much. I found my photo. Class 8045 from 1980. I recognize all the faces, but alas, only a few of the names.
WETSU
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

Sub Class 388

Post by rmbowen »

Hey, Gill !!

Apparently I followed you to Sub School, then to the 627. What was the date of your first patrol? Mine was April '68. I took some leave then was in "transient" for a month or two.

I have the names and boat assignments of most of the class written on the back on my Sub School picture. Several of the guys in my class reported to the Scorpion SSN589. It must have just come out of overhaul about that time.

RM Bowen
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)
1967-1970 blue crew April 1970-1971 gold crew
Pockcarpe
First Name: Michael R.
Last Name: Pock
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1967-1968
Rate: MM3

Re: Basic Enlisted Submarine School (BESS)

Post by Pockcarpe »

Just found this page. I looked in my Old Navy records and found a class picture from BESS. Section 404 Class ? January 1967. My certificate says 10February 1967. The picture was taked accross from the Theater and it wasn't Winter which if strange for January in Connecticut. Will try to forward a picture. Two people that were on the Madison besides me were Lonny Koch and Tom Thrasher. another menber of this class was Phil Scala. Phil and i were in Boot Camp in San Diego together.

Michael R. Pock MM1(SS) USNR-R