First Name: Sheri
Last Name: Wysong
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1965-1968
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: N/A

Donald Ray Ebbert

Post by Sheri »

Hi, I'm looking for info on my father. He died in 1972, but I believe he was on the James Madison in the mid to late 60's. I know he spent some time in Spain. Anyone remember Don Ebbert?
Sheri

Post by Sheri »

I haven't gotten a reply to my inquiry yet, and want to bring it up again with some really cool news that would interest you submariners. The wreckage of the US Grunion may have been found. My Grand-Uncle, Kenneth Hall, died on that ship. You can read about it here: http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publi ... ther.shtml
Last edited by Sheri on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheri

Post by Sheri »

Still waiting for info on my dad. Somebody out there had to know him. I've also heard from another family member that he may have spent some time on the Scorpion before it sunk. The family member is a huge BSer, so it's very questionable that he did, but I am trying to either confirm or refute that story.

Also, the ship my Great Uncle went down on, The USS Grunion has a http://www.ussgrunion.com/blog/ blog and photo album, on which they are discussing the details of what may have happened just before the ship went down. If any of you ex-submariners are interested in participating, it might be pretty interesting for you, and you may be able to add valuable insight.
Twangg1
First Name: Thomas D.
Last Name: Cantrall
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1963-1968
Special Crew?: Commissioning
Rate: MT1(SS)

Re: Donald Ray Ebbert

Post by Twangg1 »

Hello Sheri,
I served with Donny until I left the boat in April 1968 to go to shore duty. Don was one of my more favorite people on board and we spent many a 6 hour stretch on watch together... For a torpedoman, he was ok! lol If I remember right, he was from Nevada.

I am sorry to hear of his passing and so early. What happened?
Thom Cantrall MT1(SS) '63-'68 Gold
aisuman
First Name: Atwell I. (Skip)
Last Name: Suman
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1965-1971
Rate: TMSN-TM1(SS)

Post by aisuman »

Hi Sheri,
My name is Skip Suman. I served with Don Ebbert on the JM Gold crew during the Oct 67 to 1969 timeframe. Donnie and I became pretty good friends and we worked well together. At the time I knew him he didn't have any children and he was married to Mary. I have several pictures of Don, myself and several other crew members during a missile (A3) load at Naval Weapons Station, Charleston, S.C. I had no idea that Don had died and I would like further details. In 2004, I was close to Placerville, CA where I think Don was from. I was going to look him up but I didn't. It would have been a shock to find out that he had passed. Yes, we did make patrols out of Rota, Spain and we used to have a lot of fun during the few hours that we would get to go on liberty.

Please contact me at stwip@mac.com. I will look for the photos and send you copies.

Atwell I. "Skip" Suman
STS66
First Name: James
Last Name: Eldridge
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1966-1971
Rate: STS

Post by STS66 »

Sheri, I was a sonarman on the Gold crew with your Dad. I remember once, while loading torpedoes, he was operating a chain hoist that lowered torpedoes down into the torpedo room. The hoist malfunctioned and the fish came down on your father's shoulder. I half expected him to be crushed but he just slipped it aside as he fell to his knees. Then he got up, rubbed his shoulder, uttered something appropriate and carried on with his task. Your Dad was a sturdy guy. I'm saddened to here of his passing so early.
Regards, Jim Eldridge