Post by shim-rhoades »

Bob Adams
Martin Joseph Opyd jr.
Steve Weisenberger
Ray Wyatt
Greg (Orson Wells is GOD) Cruse
Chuck Richardson
Mark Litchfield
and that little guy that looked good in drag...Scotty...something...

all I can remember that arent on the list with my fuzzy memory
gradyh627
First Name: Grady
Last Name: Harrison
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1983-87
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: DCA

Sonar gang

Post by gradyh627 »

I can only add to the list of the sonar gang. Baker whose first name I don't remember, he transfered to the Bonefish (AKA the Brokefish) in Charleston and was on board when they abandoned ship in a fire and lost 3 shipmates.
The little guy might be Steinle. Got a picture of him rigging topside for dive underway.
I think Opyd was the only one on board who wore the navy combat action ribbon. He was off the coast of 'Nam on a tin can polishing brass when a VC lobbed a round somewhere in the vicinity of the ship... Yes we had a hero on board who got fired upon in anger !
Grady
shim-rhoades
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Shimonek - Rhoades
Which Years on Board: 1983-85
Rate: STS3

memory jog

Post by shim-rhoades »

Doug Baker..... and the little guy who looked great in a skirt was
Scotty Creek :!:
Essel
First Name: John Glenn
Last Name: Essel
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1981-1986
Rate: FTB1

Post by Essel »

Stienle (changed his name from MacClary)was an FTB2 working as Deck LPO in the early 80's
WETSU
Sorrem
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Sorrem
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1984-87
Rate: QM

Post by Sorrem »

I am a little late posting but there was another sonar tech, Blankenship can't remember his first name.
Rich
Live
For the
Future

Gold 84-87 QM
shim-rhoades
Last Name: Shimonek - Rhoades
Which Years on Board: 1983-85
Rate: STS3

Post by shim-rhoades »

I remember Blankenship. Remember Chief Wyatt calling him
Hanky Blanky. So I'm gueesing it was Hank.

If I remember correctly Steve Weisenberger also served in 'nam on a skimmer and took fire.
Allen Register
First Name: Allen
Last Name: Register
Which Years on Board: 1980-85
Rate: STS1/SS

80-85 Sonar Gang

Post by Allen Register »

This is Allen Register (Reggie) I came to the boat in 1980 and left in 85. I was on the combined crew in the shipyard then went to the Blue crew. Some of the Sonarman that have been left out in that era are. Jim Morrison, Tom Tribble, Joe Oakes, Brett Collars, John Lobenthal, Gordon Weaver, Keith Hood, Paul Turner. Jim Morrison is still in Chas. area, Joe Oakes is in Maryland and Brett Collars is in Japan. If anyone knows the whereabouts of these "Slacker ST's let me know. Thanks for finding me and leading me this site. I read a lot of the stories and remember most of them from the early to mid 80's.
cl134f5
Last Name: Cooke
Which Years on Board: 1980-1983
Rate: sts

Re: 80's Goldie missing Sonarman

Post by cl134f5 »

Wow! This is great. Much thanks to the guys that put this together. Think about those days from time to time but never thought I could revisit them with all of you. My technical skills really never progressed past cleaning the BQR 7 comp switches untill the other day when a kid I work with found the web site in about 3 seconds.

Reggie, Your memory is good but I'm feeling a little slighted. STs from the 80's yard days also include Rich Howard, Chief Esh, Newson (sp), Chief Blackwell - was he gone when you got there?- Nick Spalding and me.

I'm glad to hear that Jim is doing OK. I don't think I ever properly thanked him for keeping me out of the XOs office and the Newport News police station (would have missed ships movement if he haden't shown up at the jail with the title to his car to spring me). Then went and gave me a respectable career so I wouldn't see the world as a mess crank!

Jim, if youre out there thanks!!

STS3SS Mark Cooke, Blue 1980 -1983