Okay Goldies, Fess up

Everyone knows they are the ones who didn’t do it right and messed it up for the rest of us
Clyde (Chip) Porter
First Name: Clyde (Chip)
Last Name: Porter, Jr.
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1975-78
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM2 M-Div

Okay Goldies, Fess up

Post by Clyde (Chip) Porter »

Okay Goldies, fess up - Who's the guilty culprit? It was on one of the first field days of a blue crew patrol in probably 1976 or 1977 that a poly bottle was found suspended from a cord in the bilge outboard the R11's. It had a brown liquid with the scent of apples and had some things floating around in it that looked as if they had been raisins. A couple of brave machinist mates had to taste the fluid to try and figure out what the purpose of the liquid might be. One poor ELT must have had a little too much of a taste because he started staggerin', talkin' kinda' loud, and acting kinda' funny.
Clyde (Chip) Porter
former MM2SS
Blue Crew 75' to 78'
VMadison
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Madison
Which Years on Board: 1972-1978
Rate: MM1

14 Day Wonder

Post by VMadison »

Chip, that happended to be some of the "14 Day Wonder" brew that was an un-told tradition of the ELT gang :twisted: . Not saying I had anything to do with it, but somehow, a lot of apple juice and raisins got passed aft during ships loading of stores just prior to patrol. The large waste storage jugs provided a great fermentation tank for the brew (as I was told) :oops: .
Victor Madison
former MMCSS
MM1SS Lead ELT on 627
Blue Crew
BobbyC

14-days is kind of "green"

Post by BobbyC »

14-day old pale brown liquid is refered to as "green", but if it makes it to 28-days what is it referred to? I remember the field day that Chip referred to. I volunteered to taste 2-cups of the strange liquid to identify what it might be. I am not sure what it was, but it did have an yeasty odor and a hint of spoiled apples flavor. It made me feel a bit light-headed. Shortly after my sampling, the XO had me report to Machenery 2 Lower Level to inventory the atmospheric contaminants locker that was located on the starbord side just outboard the SPM (Submarine Protrudable Mud-brake Note: ask Chip about the Cooper River incident) and just aft of the diesel. It was kind of hard to stay straight-faced and say "I don't smell anything, my sinuses are congested" after the XO asked me if I noticed a strange odor, like spoiled apples.
VMadison
First Name: Victor
Last Name: Madison
Which Years on Board: 1972-1978
Rate: MM1

Green

Post by VMadison »

I have also been told that one of the storage locations during the intial brewing period was outboard of the starboard MG set in machinery 2 lower level. I remember seeing a piece of tygon tubing that extended over behind the MG set. I wonder if that was a vent tube off the fermenting tank? Bobby, that may have contributed to the odor you were breathing on the XO.
Victor Madison
former MMCSS
MM1SS Lead ELT on 627
Blue Crew
BobbyC

Odor in M2LL

Post by BobbyC »

I think the XO wanted me to inventory the locker because of his smelling something out of kilter when he was walking through the engineering spaces on field-day. He probably thought an atmosheric contaminant container was broken or open. Maybe I should have just said "That oder smells like 'Apple Jack' to me, but if you want, I will open the locker anyway! " (Think that would have been a good idea?) LOL
Clyde (Chip) Porter
First Name: Clyde (Chip)
Last Name: Porter, Jr.
Which Years on Board: 1975-78
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM2 M-Div

Re: Okay Goldies, Fess up

Post by Clyde (Chip) Porter »

The lapel pin is already available if you click on the "Ship's Store" button at the top of the web page.

SSBN 627 Lapel Pin
$7.50 plus $1.00 shipping
Clyde (Chip) Porter
former MM2SS
Blue Crew 75' to 78'