First Name: Rufus Keith
Last Name: Holman
Crew?: Combined and Blue
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM1 M-Div

How to Send an email through the forum

Post by Keith Holman »

It can be done and there are multiple paths to get there, but it does have some limitations which I'll try to address as we go through.
First you have to be registered and logged in here which should show you this:
Then scroll ALL the way to the bottom and find the "members" link
And here's where it starts to get a bit less clean.
IF the user is registered here AND IF you can find the name.
(We asked all users to use a standard configuration of first name, last name or first initial last name but for their reasons, some folks didn't want to do that, e.g., privacy concerns, "I've always been known as RosySweetCheeks on forums" and any number of other reasons.)
Whatever login they're using will be listed alphabetically, so you can find JD Walton.
Click on the login name in the left hand column which will bring you to this (Note that I've blocked the personal info in this screen.):
This should bring you to a fairly standard text entry screen to send the email (including sending a copy to yourself.) You won't see their email address -- this was in response to a number of shipmates who prefer the added assurance that their email won't be made available to spammers or other folks with bad intentions.
What happens next depends on other things. Does your recipient have a current email listed on this forum? Is it one they still check? If so, they will receive an email from the forum.
A less than perfect combination of making contact possible while protecting privacy.
~Keith
Reunion Association President
RussBrentnell
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Brentnell
Crew?: Combined and Gold
Rate: mm1 (nuke)

Re: How to Send an email through the forum

Post by RussBrentnell »

Keith Holman wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 pm Whatever login they're using will be listed alphabetically, so you can find JD Walton.
Other than not knowing the man's username, the alphabetical part had me confused. When I click on 'Members' at the bottom, then proceed to the 'J' section, members are not listed alphabetically. What I see is chronological by signup date so I end up scouring through name by name to try to find something that might be the guy I'm looking for. And since in person he goes by JD, is J the same guy or is it another Walton? Man, what a pain!

That was until I accidentally discovered that when viewing the member list, several of the headers at the top like username, join date, etc. are links to sort the data. Didn't know that!
Combined in the Yard/Gold crew, 80-84 M-Div

Ship's New Storekeeper 2017-
RussBrentnell
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Brentnell
Crew?: Combined and Gold
Rate: mm1 (nuke)

Re: How to Send an email through the forum

Post by RussBrentnell »

So, to maybe make things a little easier for folks trying to find someone like JD, the ship's historian, who signed up as J not JD, my suggestion is this:

Anyone who has a position in the Association- officer, reunions, etc.- could maybe be encouraged to edit his/her signature to reflect that position.

That way if a member is searching for someone like JD like I was, he will see his signature all the way at the bottom down past where Keith drew his arrow. Just scroll down, if the member has a signature it'll be there! So J's/JD's would then say Ship's Historian. Perfect!!
Combined in the Yard/Gold crew, 80-84 M-Div

Ship's New Storekeeper 2017-