Ode To The Great John Prine

Many exercised their creative talents during downtime on patrol by writing poetry or prose. Here's a spot to share yours.
Forum rules
Consider your audience when posting. The audience is unrestricted. Individual submissions are copyright by the authors and may only be reproduced with prior written permission from the author.
KellyJoeRay
First Name: Kelly Joe
Last Name: Ray
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1974-79
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM

Post by KellyJoeRay »

4/19/18
I think John Prine has finally learned to write like me...Because I hear… my thoughts in every song he sings...It’s funny how he knows...Whatever is on my mind... but that's bestest thing... about the GREAT JOHN PRIIIIIINE...

He makes me cry... He makes me laugh...in the same song...if I get down he lifts me up with the next one...He makes me see with different eyes...In my head...and makes me think that I can do what he can...

Survive the times...re write the lines in my song...forgive the past have peace at last...in my home...I hear his voice...I have no choice...surrender...it’s a word I hate...and I hesitate but I've been there...

Down on my knees…with shattered dreams…in pieces…no where to turn…and on the run from reason…But the Son still shines no matter what the season…And some things I’ve done I know have not been pleasing…

Yeah, I think John Prine has learned to think like me…a bowl of oatmeal ain’t got nothing on eternity… You stare death in the face…You Spit and laugh…then you’re worthy…you live and learn… you love and dance and don’t worry…

If someone sees what’s in your soul… then that’s okay…Just be a light and be careful what you say… words can hurt like sticks and stones…’cause I’ve felt that…no words ever… broke my bones…but I’ve hit back…

With words that hurt…if words could kill…then I’m guilty…of murdering every member of my family…I put them through… a life of hell…left them waiting…on countless piers while serving in the Navy…

They waved good bye and say I’m going to miss you…But when you return there’s no one there to greet you? Where did they go and why are you still living? Have you not had enough of selfless giving?

Yeah, I think John Prine has learned to live like me…He’s been recued and he’s no longer lost at sea…(Like me)…The boundless love that Johnny found can find you…Just close your eyes…and ask the Son to rise in you…

I think The Great John Prine has learned to live like me?...Eternally…

PS I LOVE YOU ALL MY SHIPMATES
K.J. Ray MM1/SS Ret.
Blue Crew 1974-1979