One Year

Many exercised their creative talents during downtime on patrol by writing poetry or prose. Here's a spot to share yours.
Forum rules
Consider your audience when posting. The audience is unrestricted. Individual submissions are copyright by the authors and may only be reproduced with prior written permission from the author.
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

One Year

Post by rmbowen »

I wrote this poem one weekend in April of 1970. I had the duty. My wife and I would be married one year on the 19th of April. Although we lived off base, I had the duty so I had to stay (sleep) on that barge. I wrote this poem one night after I got off the SMAW watch.

One Year

One year has passed
Since you became my wife;
What a difference it brought
To this man’s life.

Each memory is numbered
In a precious book of gold
As a lasting reminder
When days grow old.

One year has passed
Bringing this joy I feel:
A new world discovered,
The first year I’ve lived.

©August 2013 Roy Mack Bowen
SSBN627 Overhaul Electric Boat Groton, New London, CT
10 April 1970
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)
1967-1970 blue crew April 1970-1971 gold crew
JT-STS627g
First Name: John
Last Name: Horner
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1970-74
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: STS2(ss)

Re: One Year

Post by JT-STS627g »

Beautiful Roy. That was the month and year I reported on board. Being single, I lived on that barge. Fresh out of Sub School and finally on a "real" submarine. Brings back many memories. I recall that the coffee in the galley got awfully strong in the evening. Spent many a night sitting topside with a cup of coffee just watching the lights and traffic on the river. I remember one evening sitting in an empty gun turret sharing a bottle of Okadama wine with one of the NavET's. Roy, I always picture you standing on the missile deck by the mr1 hatch in a black wet-suit and dive gear. Thanks for the memories! JT
JT
Sonar gang '70-'74 Gold