Thoughts on a Rainy Day

Many exercised their creative talents during downtime on patrol by writing poetry or prose. Here's a spot to share yours.
Forum rules
Consider your audience when posting. The audience is unrestricted. Individual submissions are copyright by the authors and may only be reproduced with prior written permission from the author.
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

Thoughts on a Rainy Day

Post by rmbowen »

I wrote this short poem on Oct 25, 1967 in Birmingham, Alabama. I was home on leave from Sub School. It was my twenty-second birthday and I had orders to report to the USS James Madison, SSBN627(B) in Charleston, SC on Nov 7th.

I had said good-night to my girlfriend earlier and was driving around alone that night contemplating my future and the decisions I made to become a submariner. I was enjoying the break from nearly two years of Navy schools. I know all the “Nukes” can identify with the relief, as well as the expectations I felt that night.

It was a dark, warm night and a strong thunderstorm came up rather quickly. It started raining very hard, so I parked the car on a quiet south-side street a few blocks from my parent’s home. I sat enjoying the sights and sounds of lightning, thunder and large raindrops pounding my car.

This is just one of the special experiences that submariners miss while on patrol. I am so glad that I captured my feelings that night in two short verses. I would return to that night in Birmingham every time I read this poem in my quiet place - a padded floor locker in upper level missile compartment outboard of tubes two and four. I would like to share my experience with those brothers that may have found that (somewhat ironic) place to rest and study. I hope you enjoy the poem and that this narrative triggers a few special memories of your own.

Thoughts on a Rainy Day

Come, O’ rain,
Beat upon on my brow;
Do it now,
Before this feeling goes away!

Blow, cruel wind,
Tear the shirt from my back;
I’ll welcome the attack,
For such is my mood today.

Written 25 October 1967
© 2013 Roy Mack Bowen
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)