Never

Many exercised their creative talents during downtime on patrol by writing poetry or prose. Here's a spot to share yours.
Forum rules
Consider your audience when posting. The audience is unrestricted. Individual submissions are copyright by the authors and may only be reproduced with prior written permission from the author.
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

Never

Post by rmbowen »

My last love poem got a lot of views so I think I will post another. I had been writing letters for two years to Jenny, my wife-to-be. (In another two years we would be married.)
I had just completed Sub School and was coming off of 15 days leave and got to spend nearly the entire two weeks with her. I had been assigned to the Madison Blue crew but they were out at sea. So I lived in Transient Barracks #65 in Charleston, SC nearly two months awaiting their return from patrol (out of Scotland then I believe). I went home (Birmingham, AL) every weekend that I didn't have duty to see Jenny. When I had duty, or couldn't get home, I would write poetry or drink beer with Jim Schoelen and a couple of other guys at the EM Club.
I loved hanging with Jim. He is one of the funniest people I have ever met. Get him to tell you about the super soft pillow he planned to make - but carry a first aid kit with you because you WILL burst a gut laughing.

Sorry, that is a story for another forum.... here is the poem:

Never

It will never end,
This love I feel.
It will continue to grow;
I know it will.
True love never dies,
Although hearts may be broken;
The tears that one cries
Are words of love softly spoken.
Our love will live forever,
For I know this much,
Our hearts will never know
Mediocrity’s deadly touch.

© August 2013 Roy Mack Bowen
Last edited by rmbowen on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)
1967-1970 blue crew April 1970-1971 gold crew
KellyJoeRay
First Name: Kelly Joe
Last Name: Ray
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1974-79
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM

Re: Never

Post by KellyJoeRay »

Good stuff Roy. I can relate...