Roy Mack Bowen

Share notices and arrangements for shipmates who have passed.
Board Admin
Site Admin

Roy Mack Bowen

Post by Board Admin »

This is Jena Bowen, Roy Bowen's daughter. I am posting at the request of my mother. At 3 a.m., this Resurrection Sunday morning, my precious Daddy entered the presence of his Lord Jesus Christ. Thank you for your cards, calls, messages throughout Daddy's illness. I will post again with the finalized arrangements, but I will leave you with this poem that my Dad wrote exactly a year ago:

"This will be my Memorial Day poem.
I lost two friends this year. Both served in the Navy. I just wish I could have.... well.... you know.
I wrote this for them. I started it after the funeral of the first. Then, laid it down for a while. After the funeral of the second friend, I couldn't rest until I finished it.
Rest in peace, Brothers, I will see you soon. We will talk about all those things we never got around to here. I'm coming."

Death of a Warrior

The good Earth opens welcoming arms
And Heaven sheds tears on that day;
The day life's final verse is written
And a Warrior for peace passes away.

Their stories are told in songs of old,
And in verses from poet's admiring hands.
They are written in the jungles of Viet Nam,
In sand and on beaches of distant lands.

But today, every song of praise is hushed
And Sadness stands at my side.
Another Warrior fought his final battle,
And another part of this poet died.

Roy Mack Bowen
April 2016
Board Admin
Site Admin

Re: Roy Mack Bowen

Post by Board Admin »

Roy M. Bowen

Oct. 25, 1945 - April 16, 2017 Roy M. Bowen, age 71, of McCalla went to his heavenly home on Resurrection Sunday, April 16, 2017. He was a Navy Veteran serving aboard the USS James Madison during the Vietnam War. He was a member of McCalla Bible Church where he served as a Deacon for many years. A member of the Bessemer Music Club; he was also the state Poetry chairman of the Alabama Federation of Music Clubs. He was preceded in death by his parents, Corbie and Gladys Bowen and his sister, Ina Biddie. He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Nora "Jenny" Bowen; daughter, Jena Bowen Anders; sons, James Jared Bowen and John Michael Bowen; grandchildren, William Jordan Rockett, Kenneth Blake Anders and Allison Marie Bowen; sister, Carolyn Seritt and numerous nieces, nephews and god-children. Funeral service will be on Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM at McCalla Memorial Funeral Home with burial to follow at Alabama National Cemetery in Montevallo. The family will receive friends on Friday from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM at the funeral home.
- See more at: http://obits.al.com/obituaries/birmingh ... ovSOH.dpuf