Capt. Max N. Akers

Share notices and arrangements for shipmates who have passed.
Board Admin
Site Admin

Capt. Max N. Akers

Post by Board Admin »

Funeral services for Capt. Max N. Akers, USN (Ret.), 80, will be 10 a.m. Friday, Dec. 13, 2013, in the Centennial Chapel of the Harvey-Douglas Funeral Home, with the Rev. Morgan Ashworth officiating. Interment will be at Ft. Sill National Cemetery, Elgin, at 2 p.m., with Chaplain Dan Capri officiating with Military Honors provided by the United States Navy. The son of John Q. Akers and Luvene Griffin Akers, Max was born on April 12, 1933, and passed away Dec. 8, 2013, in Ardmore. Max was born at Graham, and graduated from Fox Consolidated High School in 1951. After graduation from high school, Max moved to Washington, D.C. where he worked as a congressional patronage appointee in the Post Office for the House of Representatives. Max had joined the Naval Reserve in April 1950, and was recalled to active duty in March 1952. While serving with the Seabees, Max received a congressional appointment to the Naval Academy. He was in the Naval Academy Prep School Class of '53 and entered the U.S. Naval Academy in June 1954. At the Academy, Max was an honors student, graduating 99th in his class. Following graduation, he reported to the USS Noble APA (218) where he served in various engineering billets and as navigator. He then went to submarine school and nuclear power training. Max served on board USS Scamp (SSN-588) and four SSBN's, including a command tour of USS James Madison (SSNB-627) Gold. Max attended the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, earning an M.S. Computer Science 1966-68. Post command tours included Engineering Training Director, FBMSTC, Charleston, S.C.; Executive Officer, Naval Submarine Base, Bangor, Wash.; Commanding Officer, Naval Reserve Center, Charleston, S.C.; and Chief of Staff, Charleston Naval Base, Charleston, S.C. After retirement in October 1985, Max was employed as operations manager, the BDM Corporation, Charleston, S.C. Max also worked as a independent consultant in defense industries. In 1990, Max moved back to his native Oklahoma where he became a certified real estate appraiser and provided community service as a member of the board of directors, Arbuckle Conservation District and Southern Oklahoma Development Authority. Survivors include two daughters, Cheryl Rogers and Carol Diaz, both of Gig Harbor, Wash.; and four grandchildren, Jacob Diaz, Candace Diaz, Ashley Rogers and Bailey Rogers. Condolences may be made to the family online at http://www.hdouglasfuneralhome.com.
JT-STS627g
First Name: John
Last Name: Horner
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1970-74
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: STS2(ss)

Re: Capt. Max N. Akers

Post by JT-STS627g »

One of my most fondest memories is when Capt. Akers gave me my Dolphins in the control room while on patrol. Smooth sailing Captain.
JT
Sonar gang '70-'74 Gold
TERRY DUHN
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Duhn
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1970-74
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: STS2 SS So

Re: Capt. Max N. Akers

Post by TERRY DUHN »

I to recieved my Dolphins from MAX But mine were presented in the mess Hall. I still have a picture of it . The thing I will remember about Max while on Patrol we decided to have a trim party for one of the JO's that was working on quals. Gathering in the torpedoe room we headed aft. Soon we were going the wrong angle and it wasn't long before Max came out of his stateroom and we thought oh crap. Then Max realized what was happening and played right along with us the whole time with a big grin on his face as he to played with the JO. He was truly a great Captain.
TERRY "DINGUS" DUHN STS2SS GOLD
Terry Duhn-Dingus
STS2SS
1970-1974 Gold Crew
Glenwood,Mn