First Name: Rufus Keith
Last Name: Holman
Crew?: Combined and Blue
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM1 M-Div

Thanksgiving Tradition

Post by Keith Holman »

As I sit here on the day before Thanksgiving, I have much to be thankful for -- good health for me and my loved ones, the pleasure of good friends, a roof over my head and the relative certainty of plenty to eat. Many don't have all or many of those things and they don't have the freedom to enjoy or pursue them. For all these and the people who gave their all to secure them for me, I am truly grateful.
Tomorrow, we will particpate in a family tradition where we go over the river and through the woods (literally) to share the afternoon with family.
Another part of that tradition for us is a part that came about during my time on the Madison -- specifically, no one at our house will be cooking.
While I don't truly recall our first Thanksgiving as a couple, I do recall our second. The boat was working up towards coming out of the yards at NNews and we had sea trials to make. We weren't expected to be back that Thursday but things had gone relatively well and I was off the boat by mid-afternoon.
Since we had planned on me being gone, the traditional T-giving arrangements hadn't been made. A few phone calls and we found that the Chamberlain (I think) Hotel at Fort Monroe was serving Thanksgiving dinner without needing a reservation.
My wife, Betty, and I, along with a couple of friends from the boat went there for dinner. I don't recall the meal as being outstanding but good and the company was great. It was also an occasion because I didn't expect to be on land, let alone out with the folks I cared about.
Since that time, Betty doesn't "do" Thanksgiving dinner. We have ever since, either gone out to a restaurant or to family or friends. It's worked well for the last 24 years and we see no reason to change it now.
Thank you all for your part in securing the freedom we enjoy. I hope this holiday finds you with many blesssings to appreciate as well.
~Keith
Reunion Association President
RussBrentnell
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Brentnell
Crew?: Combined and Gold
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Rate: mm1 (nuke)

Post by RussBrentnell »

Speaking of T-giving traditions: the first time we (I) tried to cook a turkey was only because I won a big bird in some kind of raffle. Maybe it was POD Bingo, I'm not sure. Anyway, it was just me, Barry R. and Mark T. in the apartment by the James River in Newport News, and we were begging people to come over and eat this bigass bird. Even though we had lots of "Yep, I'll be there", no one showed up. So we were stuck with this thing.. I think we ended up chucking it in the dumpster.

This was the first time, and over the course of my life one of the few times I actually won something in a raffle. :)
Combined in the Yard/Gold crew, 80-84 M-Div

Ship's New Storekeeper 2017-
gradyh627
First Name: Grady
Last Name: Harrison
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1983-87
Rate: DCA

Thanksgiving

Post by gradyh627 »

It was great to see to what extent the government is going the extra mile to give a Thanksgiving meal to all servicemen and women around the world.
Every Thanksgiving I have a thought for service members away from them families. I recall a Thanksgiving during a refit from hell alongside the tender in KB, I had the duty for 24 hours and there was no chill water. The heat in boat was unbearable. Mess cranks has set a plate aside for me in the pantry (everyone else ate on the barge), got to it before midnight rounds... turkey was dry as a potato chip, a little crispy but tasted fine with the cranberries... A short respite and welcome recall to civilization by caring mess crank shipmates