First Name: James L.
Last Name: Nugent
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1963-69
Special Crew?: Commissioning
Rate: MT1

Patrol dates of Madison's #15 (Blue #8)

Post by Jim Nugent »

Any early blue crew remember actual dates( plus or minus 1 week) of Blue patrol #8 ( Madison #15) I believe it was in spring of 1968 but would like to know when we departed and returned for personal history. Anyone keep track of that? Thank you. James Nugent MT1(SS)
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

Re: Patrol dates of Madison's #15 (Blue #8)

Post by rmbowen »

James

You got up early today. 627's 15th patrol was my first. I am pretty sure it was April to July. I can probably get dates. We flew Charleston to Holy Loc for the COC. I will get back to you if I have dates.
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)
1967-1970 blue crew April 1970-1971 gold crew
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

Re: Patrol dates of Madison's #15 (Blue #8)

Post by rmbowen »

Jim,

The best I can come up with on the dates you wanted are from my QUAL card. I am pretty sure that I would have had to be on board to get these particular quals signed off. The dates should be fairly close to the beginning/end of the patrol cycle.

April 1st - Sanitary Tanks - PO signature (?? Mills)
July 1st - Ops 1st Level - Officer signature (T.D. Murray)

By the way, Around this time, I believe one of the Missle Techs had a sports car possibly an MG (B??). Do you know who that may have been? The reason I am asking is that, although I have forgotton his name, I will always remember the kindness he showed me.
If he is still around, I would like very much to thank him for having pity on a poor third class Electrician's Mate who had no transportation or a place to stay off the ship. He insisted that I use his car for a weekend of liberty. I have thought many times about this guy who cared enough about a shipmate to show such kindness. I toured Charleston that weekend in style! I hope you can help me identify him.
You can respond in this forum or via my email which is available on this website.

Sincerely,
R.M. Bowen
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)
1967-1970 blue crew April 1970-1971 gold crew