First Name: Rufus Keith
Last Name: Holman
Crew?: Combined and Blue
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM1 M-Div

Thanksgiving Plans?

Post by Keith Holman »

Betty and I have been married for 26 years. We have NEVER had the Thanksgivng meal at our house. That's a Madison tradition!
Our first Thanksgiving we were in Newport News Shipyard and I had duty on Thanksgiving day. Our second Thanksgiving was sea trials and I was expected to be gone. Surprise! We came in early that day but no plans had been made so we went to the Chamberlin at Ft. Monroe with a couple of other guys from the boat.
After that, it just seemed to fall that I was either gone or we made plans to go out. There was one year when we had "Thank-mas". That was the year we combined Thanksgiving and Christmas since crew turnover was due in December and I knew I'd be gone. Since then, we either make plans to be at someone's house or go out to a restaurant.
Do you have Thanksgiving (or other holiday) traditions that originated with Jolly Dolly?
~Keith
Reunion Association President
rmbowen
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Bowen
Crew?: Both
Which Years on Board: 1967-1971
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: EM2(SS/DV)

Re: Thanksgiving Plans?

Post by rmbowen »

Keith Holman wrote:Betty and I have been married for 26 years. We have NEVER had the Thanksgivng meal at our house. That's a Madison tradition!
Our first Thanksgiving we were in Newport News Shipyard and I had duty on Thanksgiving day. Our second Thanksgiving was sea trials and I was expected to be gone. Surprise! We came in early that day but no plans had been made so we went to the Chamberlin at Ft. Monroe with a couple of other guys from the boat.
After that, it just seemed to fall that I was either gone or we made plans to go out. There was one year when we had "Thank-mas". That was the year we combined Thanksgiving and Christmas since crew turnover was due in December and I knew I'd be gone. Since then, we either make plans to be at someone's house or go out to a restaurant.
Do you have Thanksgiving (or other holiday) traditions that originated with Jolly Dolly?
Keith,
My wife and I got married while I was in the shipyard (in 1969) for the Polaris/Poseidon conversion. Our first Thanksgiving was also with shipmates at Ron and Lyn Binder's apartment in New London. There were several other shipmates there as well. However, I don't remember the other names.
R.M. Bowen EM2(SS/DV)
1967-1970 blue crew April 1970-1971 gold crew